Friday, March 24, 2017

Rapid Fire Book Tag

How fun is this tag?! I found this over at raincitylibrarian -you should check out her version. I've tracked down what I'm pretty sure is the original incarnation of this tag as well, from booktuber GirlReading.

1. eBooks or physical books?
Physical books, no contest. There's nothing like having an actual books in your hands, no smell like that of ink and paper, no sensation like cradling a book and turning its pages.
The only reason I have an e-reader device is for ARCs and comic books.

2. Paperback or hardback?

Oooh, tough call. I prefer hardbacks -I like that I can lay out while I read instead of holding them- but my wallet doesn't, so I mostly buy paperbacks.

3. Online or in-store book shopping?

If I'm actually *shopping*, I'll usually go to B&N.com, unless I know for a fact they have it in stock; then I'll go in person.
If I'm book *browsing* however... In-store. Every. Time.

4. Trilogies or series?

So long as the story is put together well I don't have a real preference. Series face the danger of not having an end goal, kind of like a lot of TV shows, where they just don't know when to stop and wrap it up. But then again, some trilogies don't have a satisfactory amount of content either.
So...it depends.

5. Heroes or villains?

I prefer well-crafted characters. Be they hero or villain, if they've got good depth, good development, and a good arc, I'll probably love them. (Or love to hate them.)
I do have a soft spot for the conflicted hero and the villains with redemption potential. ^_^

6. A book you want everyone to read?

The Committed Life: Principles for Good Living From Our Timeless Past by Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis. This might seem like an unusual book, but this is one that really stayed with me. Through different stories, anecdotes, and parables, Jungreis demonstrates the benefits of acting with decency and kindness. If nothing else, this book pushes me to be a better and kinder person.
"You become gently by acting gently, righteous by acting righteously, good by acting with goodness."

7. Recommend an underrated book.

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells. Not a book for everyone, which is the only reason it didn't get put in #6.

8. The last book you finished?

Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull

9. Weirdest thing you used as a bookmark?

The corner of my quilt. It's the darnedest thing when you're reading through a book so fast you don't even bother grabbing a bookmark.

10. Used books, yes or no?

YES. Holy book bargains, Batman! My book collection wouldn't be nearly as extravagant as it is without the help of .25 cent paperbacks and $1 hardcovers.

11. Top three favorite genres?

Fantasy, space opera/light sci-fi (not sure where the cutoff is exactly), folklore & mythology.
Wow, my tastes are narrow. Probably 90% of what I read is fantasy of some kind or another.


12. Borrow or buy?

Borrow. The library is a life- and money-saver. I don't buy books before I've read them. Wasted too much money that way.

13. Characters or plot?

BOTH. This really shouldn't be an 'either/or' question. The best books have great plot AND great characters.

14. Long or short book?

If I'm enjoying it, long.

15. Long or short chapters?

I do prefer short chapters. I tend to read more that way, because if it's just another five pages or so, I'll say "I've got time for that!" But if it's 20-60 pages, that book is closed for the night.

16. Name the first three books you think of.

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells
Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston
Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl

Wow, that's quite an eclectic assortment there!

17. Books that make you laugh or cry?

9 times out of 10 I will go with laugh. I don't mind good books that make me cry, but I don't tend to seek them out.


18. Our world or fictional worlds?

Is it terrible that I say fictional? On the upside, there's a lot we can learn from fiction to make our world better.

19. Audiobooks: yes or no?

YES. About half the books I read I actually listen to.

20. Do you ever judge a book by its cover?

Yes. I'm pretty sure even people who say 'don't judge a book by its cover' judges books by their covers. I won't, however, allow a cover to dissuade me if the book has been recommended or if it sounds intriguing.
Covers are first impressions. Sometimes they're terrible, but sometimes -just maybe- there's a Mr. Darcy hiding inside.

21. Book to movie or book to TV adaptations?

Ooooh! Another tough one. I'd probably go with TV adaptations, simply because some of the books I most want to see on screen are series, not standalones. Seeing these turned into series of movies are pretty hit or miss, whereas a lot of the mystery shows I really love are based off books series.
Miniseries, too, are fantastic; they allow for more time to explore the story but enjoy an absolute End like movies.
Ideally?
Standalones = Movies
Series = TV or Miniseries

22.  A movie or TV adaptation you preferred to the book?

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Chocolat -seriously conflicted feelings with this one. >_< I'm posting a book to movie comparison for this one next week, so don't miss it!
Longmire -Admittedly, I didn't make it through all of The Cold Dish and it was only the swearing that put me off.

23. Series or standalone?

Generally, series. Mostly because fantasy standalones are hard to come by.

Bonus Question! {in the original tag, but not the one I initially discovered}

24. The last book you bought?

I honestly don't remember if it was World Mythology or The Blacklist: The Beekeeper (No. 159) by Steven Piziks.


Now EVERYONE do the tag!
Feel free to link your edition of the Rapid Fire Book Tag and I'll check it out. ^_^

11 comments:

  1. I love this tag! I really love physical in hardcover format. But Audio books allow me to read more. I'm definitely a Villain fan :-P and YES! all books should be character AND plot driven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Character and plot -YES. I think it's one of the grossest discrepancies in the book world that there's this idea a story is going to be one or the other. That needs to be debunked. We readers are like Queen -we want it all. ^_^
      Good villains are always fun. And nothing beats a villain's song (thanks, Disney!)
      I'd love to see you do this post over on your blog, Dragonfly! I can officially tag you if that helps ;)

      Delete
    2. Queen!! OK sorry to barge into someone else's comment but I saw this and now I NEED t listen to that song. Sothank you. :):)

      Delete
    3. oh I'm horrible with tags but ok I'll give it a try

      I FREAKING LOVE QUEEN TOO!!! We are the champions my friend! :)

      Delete
    4. I've got to go for a Queen playlist now. XD

      Yay! I can't wait to read it, Dragonfly!

      Delete
  2. Ooh these are fun! Physical books definitely. Nothing like actually holding a book. And I like hardbacks and paperbacks but if I had to choose I'd probably go with hardcovers. Fantasy and space opera/ SF for me too. And short chapters are the best ha ha to keep going...

    And fictional worlds all the way... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tags! I used to do them as videos, but I've never thought of doing them as blog posts. I love discovering new avenues. ^_^

      Delete
  3. "I do have a soft spot for the conflicted hero and the villains with redemption potential." - Absolutely. I agree too that I will love a book more if I'm also very passionate about the villain. I want all the characters to be well-developed, but the plot is also incredibly important. Where can I find a Mr. Darcy hiding inside? I'd like one of those please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, good villains are always best. It's always a toss up for me whether to sympathize/understand the villain or to just outright hate them. I can't actually think of a book whose villain I *hate*. That's mostly in TV and movies for me. Interesting...
      Right?! I spent 20 minutes trying to find a picture of Darcy in a book. I can't believe no one's done that yet. XD

      Delete
  4. This is such a fun tag! I love how these tags allow us to get to know each other better!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are. Will we get to see your version of the tag soon? ;)

      Delete