Thursday, January 5, 2017

My Favorite 'To Reads' of 2016

So I did a completely abominable job keeping track of the books I read last year, much less reviewing them. I know there are probably more I could add to this list but, unfortunately, I didn't always write titles down. *epic fail*

Next year's resolution? KEEP TRACK OF EVERYTHING. To help with that, I actually got a really awesome gift from work. May I present...
*drum roll please*

Want one? Get it here: Barnes & Noble | Amazon
A READING JOURNAL!

Almost the entire book are pages for reviews. You might be thinking Isn't this what Goodreads is for?

Well, yes...
                            ...and no.

I love Goodreads. Don't get me wrong. But I don't keep it on hand when I'm reading a book and have a thought that would be great in a review. So my plan for this next year is to write down those thoughts as I read. You know, the ones I push aside, say 'I'll have to remember that for the review', and then forget it by the time I do write the review. Yeah, those ones. (This is bound to make review-writing more efficient too. Whew!)

Guys, I haven't even started using this book yet and I'm already in love with it. <3

At any rate, to get 2017 started off on a good note, here -in no particular order- are my absolute favorite reads from 2016. Most of these do not have reviews yet -but they're on the way!


John Wayne Cleaver series by Dan Wells:
I Am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells | 5 stars
Mr. Monster by Dan Wells | 4 stars
I Don't Want to Kill You by Dan Wells | 5 stars
The Devil's Only Friend by Dan Wells | 5 stars
Over Your Dead Body by Dan Wells | 5 stars
I'm saving my comments for reviews, but this series is incredible. Dark. Morbid. And incredible.

Iron Man: The Gauntlet by Eoin Colfer | 5 stars
Amazing. AMAZING. Colfer was the perfect choice to write this book and he dominated. I hope Marvel loves it as much as I did, because I would read every. single. one.

Calamity by Brandon Sanderson (Reckoners #3) | 5 stars
An Epic end to an Epic series. Pun very much intended.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge | 5 stars
I wasn't sure I was going to like this. I did.

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn Hamilton | 5 stars
Sequel comes out in March! Squee!

Vicious by V.E. Schwab | 4 stars
Fantastic book, amazing characters, great plot, but as a caution there is a lot of swearing.

Library Wars: Love and War Vol. 14 &15 by Kiiro Yumi | 5 stars
Wonderful finale. My favorite manga series of all time, bar none. ^_^

Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Nancy Campbell Allen | 4 stars

Mistborn: The Finale Empire by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn #1) | 5 stars

The Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (Throne of Glass #1)
I'm still reading this, but I love it so much it's going on this list!
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
These don't even have ratings yet. I've got a lot to say about these.
Like, A LOT. I just haven't pieced my thoughts together just yet.
(Except #1; I reviewed that awhile back.)

This one I actually have reviewed, so you can read all the gory details for yourself.



And those are my top picks from my reads last year!
What were your favorite reads from 2016?

6 comments:

  1. I love your reading journal! I am so much better at tracking things when I write them down - I still use an actual physical calendar and planner!

    The John Wayne Cleaver series looks really good. I love scary books and thrillers. I will have to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work much better when I use a physical planner too. Plus, I'm such a fan of physical vs. digital. (Here's where to get the Reading Journal, if you're interested.

      DEFINITELY read the John Wayne Cleaver series. I couldn't put them down, and I don't even like scary books! XD

      Delete
  2. Love the reading journal, I might have to consider getting one myself, instead of the sticky notes and scraps of paper I typically use. I'm a little slow with getting my 2017 reading going, darn cold. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the cold; I drove in the snow for the first time in my life tonight! I've been slow on my reading too, though I blame The Blacklist and my lack of self control in watching it. XD

      Delete
  3. I've heard great things about Cruel Beauty but haven't made time for it yet. I didn't love Rosamund's newest book (perhaps because Romeo and Juliet isn't a favorite story), so I think that's made me skeptical. However I am excited to read Sarah J. Maas' TOG books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Romeo and Juliet one yet, so I can't 100% reassure you that Cruel Beauty is a million times better -but it is absolutely amazing. ^_^
      I can't wait to finish TOG, but I've got such a pile right now! Agh!

      Delete