Friday, May 30, 2014

My Week in Review: dGeek is in dHouse

dGeek is in dHouse

This week I discovered something pretty awesome for all the geeks and the geek wannabes. (Geek wannabe, that would be me, just so you know.) David Hewlett -of Stargate Atlantis and Dr. Rodney McKay fame- has started a vlog on Youtube, the dGeek Diaries.

I've only seen two so far, but they're fun, and full of all things geekery.

 

In this video, David talks about how to make people think you're a genius. Something he's had quite a bit of experience with as Rodney McKay.

The Writing Corner

VICTOOOOORRRRRYYYYYY!
 

 
I've been working on rewriting a secondary storyline in Rodney and the Gonjii, because certain things just weren't working. It gave me a little trouble -I think I've rewritten the first part of it four or five times, coming at it from different angles and perspectives. But now, I think I've finally found the way to tell it. I'm waiting on some feedback, to make sure it's as successful as I think it is, but after that I will write like the wind, Bullseye.

The Reading Nook

I finished two books this week:

  • The Dragon Business by Kevin J. Anderson. With it's 21st century jokes and knowledge mixed with its medieval setting, this book was reminiscent of the Shrek movies, sans ogres. This is a hilarious and irreverent tale of knights in (mostly) shining armor, damsels dodging distress, and conmen. At times, I thought the 21st century influence was a little too heavy; it messed with the supposedly medieval setting, which at times annoyed me, but this was obviously the way Anderson wanted the world to play out. I'm chalking it up to my own personal peeve and giving this book four stars.
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. With the movie coming out, I finally decided to stop avoiding this book. It was not quite what I expected. I still haven't fully decided whether I liked it or not. It's a good read, an interesting experience, and I'm glad I read it. The book deals with and talks a lot about death. I found the continual talk of nothing after death and oblivion depressing, although the story was intended to be uplifting despite the subject of terminal illness. Again, I realize this comes down to personal opinion. This was a good book, though I will caution you there is a lot of swearing. I give this book four stars.
In this week's video, In the Spotlight, I talked about audiobooks and one narrator in particular I have come to admire, Katherine Kellgren. Seriously, narrators have talent.

 

So that's my week. How has yours been?

No comments:

Post a Comment