Monday, December 1, 2014

REVIEW: Hawkeye -My Life As A Weapon

Review
Hawkeye, vol 1 "My Life as a Weapon"

Writer
Matt Fraction

Artists
David Aja & Javier Pulido

Rating
4 stars

I'm fairly new to comic books. My major introduction to the complex Marvel universe so far have been the movies, so when it comes to picking up random comics from the library, it can be hit or miss as far as my understanding of what's going on.

Speaking as an inexperienced comic reader, this is a good place to start. There's definitely history I don't know about, but enough hints are dropped that I could get along. There aren't tons of characters you need to know, and no huge influences from past story lines.

These stories center around what Clint Barton does when he's not running around with the Avengers and they are FUN. Each issue is narrated in the tone of a classic PI story with true-to-form Clint sass, starting off with some great variation of, "Okay, I know this looks bad, but..."

I was hooked on the first issue. It's an average day for Clint, the odd-man out, the Avenger without superpowers or magic. He's normal, he's human, and that's okay. But it was really the dog that got me. Because, well, whatever. Read the thing. It got me right in the gut.

Another thing I like is Kate Bishop, an unknown to me before this, but evidently a regular for this series. She is (was?) another bearer of the Hawkeye mantel, and she keeps up with him in cheekiness and skill, so what's not to love? They've got a great dynamic that's just fun to watch unfold.

https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/hostedimages/1410283198/11085691.png

My Life As A Weapon is funny, it's different, it has a few warm heartfelt moments, and -hello- it's Hawkeye. Since I can't get a standalone movie with him, I'll gladly inhale these comics. Matt Fraction has done a marvelous job with the writing, and some of the visual storytelling is stunning. At first, I wasn't crazy about the artwork, but I've come to love the minimalist look.

There are a few risque jokes/situations, which is the reason it doesn't get 5 stars. Other than that, my biggest problem with this comic was my knack for turning too many pages at once. Not sure what the deal was. I guess it's just a talent I have to work on. ;)

Corny Joke Monday

Of course, it wouldn't be Monday without our corny joke!
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.


Now if you'll excuse me, Vol 2 is calling my name. 


No comments:

Post a Comment