Monday, February 13, 2017

Comics Mini Review Wrap Up

What I read:
Original Sin
3/5 stars
I liked the premise. I loved the idea that The Watcher was murdered and the superheroes have to solve the mystery. I liked that there are three separate groups investigating the mystery around each other, all hired by unknown third parties.
I basically liked everything until we find out who said third party was.
And, like, the ending.
Honestly, I thought this was kind of lame when it finished off. It was very SOAP OPERA, and believe me I use this term with the utmost caution, especially in a world where TV is filled with such cheesy tropes, but this was straight-up, SOAP OPERA.

Original Sin: 3.1-3.4
2/5 stars
The Iron Man/Hulk tie-in didn't really bring a whole lot to the table for me. It alters the origin story of Hulk just enough to not really make any difference at all, except for pitching Banner against Tony. I feel like this was an effort to deepen both characters and their relationship, but it just created dissension bred from misunderstanding and, especially given the ending, it dissatisfied me.

Original Sin: 5.1-5.5
3.5/5 stars
I enjoyed this Thor/Loki tie-in most of all the Original Sin goings on because I'm loving Loki's story line and this had some good and fun developments both in his character and between Loki and Thor. I always love Loki and Thor interaction. ^_^
I don't yet have an opinion on the revelations of this one way or the other *coughSOAPOPERAcough* so I'll wait to see how it effects the ongoing story.

Loki: Agent of Asgard/AXIS
#6-7 | 4/5 stars and 3/5 stars respectively
These two were fun just to watch Loki and Dr. Doom face off, but I did a bit of floundering because I'm not familiar with what's happening in the Doom/Fantastic Four story line. (Ummm, Valeria Richards? Yeah, I didn't even know she *existed*)
The downside of these issues is that it was ANOTHER BLOODY TIE-IN.
I LITERALLY JUST READ THE ENTIRETY OF ORIGINAL SIN TO KEEP UP WITH THE LOKI STORY LINE AND THEY THROW ANOTHER TIE-IN AT ME IN THE VERY NEXT ISSUE.
This is annoying, okay?

#8 | 5/5 stars
This issue was absolutely fantastic! I mean, after I went and read AXIS #3 so I knew what the crumb was going on. Once I did that, I loved seeing Loki in all his sudden heroic glory and Thor cast in the role of villain. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Unfortunately, I have to. Because I'm floundering again. Apparently I've got to read the 9 issue run of Avengers & X-Men: AXIS to figure out exactly what's up with Loki. Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhh....

One-Punch Man 01
3.5/5 stars
I watched the first episode of the anime awhile back and I thought it was hysterical. My sister discovered our library carries the manga, so I snagged it from her. One-Punch Man has such a wacky premise -a superhero who's bored out of his mind because he's so good he takes down every villain with one punch. At this point, I admit it's a little light on the plot side, but it cracks me up. Everything about this manga reads like a genuine, super serious superhero story -except the superhero himself. I'm really interested to see where this goes.

The Blacklist: The Gambler (No. 148)
5/5 stars | review to post Feb 15
This was fantastic. Absolutely, beyond a doubt, amazing. Remember I said I was happy with the tie-in novel, The Beekeeper? This was EVEN BETTER. But you can read my review on Wednesday.



What's Next:
Avengers & X-Men: AXIS
Obviously, this is on the list. I've already read issues 1 and 3 -yeah I know, but I thought I could get away with just reading #3. Sue me- Granted, I'm intrigued by the story line, so hopefully by my next Comics Mini Review Wrap Up I won't be so annoyed at it. :P

Loki: Agent of Asgard
We'll see how far I get before I encounter another crossover.

One-Punch Man 02

New Avengers
I started reading this a while back, but I need a refresher so I can finish.

The Blacklist: The Arsonist (No. 123)
I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS!!! I'm so impressed with the first one and the novel. Titan Books is amazing. THESE ARE FANTASTIC TIE-INS.


Your turn. Spill.
What comics have you read recently?
Any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment