Thursday, December 17, 2015

Amanda & the Star Wars Summer: Episode IV

Amanda & the Star Wars Summer

Ahhhhh, it's good to be back! I had to crawl out of my writing hiatus with a new video before Force Awakens hits theaters -because there's no way I'm missing this!


Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure by Cecil Castellucci
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As always, Princess Leia is awesome.

In the wake of Empire Strikes Back, Leia is a guarded and protected figure of hope for the Rebel Alliance. More than anything, she wants to do something, but she is too valuable to the Alliance. Between the desire to fight the Empire, search for Han Solo, and assist the Rebellion, Leia finds herself struggling with the question of duty vs. desire. She soon finds her chance to help the Rebellion and give the Empire a little what for, but it is the inner struggle of duty vs. desire that dominated so much of the book for me.

I am a Han and Leia fan, all the way. So while the Princess is trying to justify her actions for the sake of duty -and her inactions for her desire in the name of duty- I'm only thinking about how it will play into the fate of my favorite OTP.

When I wasn't obsessing over whether or not Han and Leia will be a thing in Episode VII, I was appreciating that Leia's task in Moving Target wasn't a political one. I've run into that quite a bit in Star Wars books (she is a politician, after all) but it was a nice change that Leia was sent on a genuine adventure, even if it could be a suicide mission.

This is technically a children's book, but Disney isn't pulling any punches. It's a good read -excitement! intrigue!- with a sophisticated closer look at the Star Wars universe, especially the conflict between the Rebellion and the Empire. There are questions of right and wrong, good and bad, just how far someone is willing to go for their cause, and whether it's too far. People die. Don't be fooled by the 'kids book' label. Moving Target is a serious addition to the canon and you need to read it.
View all my reviews

Other books:
4/5 stars
Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo and Chewbacca Adventure by Greg Rucka
4/5 stars
Attack of the Clones by R.A. Salvatore
3.5/5 stars

Now I guess there's only one thing left to say. Enjoy The Force Awakens, my fellow geeks, and may the Force be with us all.
 http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20141028/rs_500x213-141128133743-insta012.gif

There's more where this came from!
Amanda & the Star Wars Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment