Friday, June 20, 2014

My Week in Review: Korra Trailer and Ninja Librarians

The Trailer

That's right, not just any old trailer, but THE trailer. The biggest thing to happen in my own little universe was probably the reveal of this 2-minute, freakishly epic sneak peek at book 3 of The Legend of Korra.

Please join me for a few moments of complete and utter awe.




All words but one fail me. ZUKO!!!

I have to admit, I had my own issues with book 2, but this upcoming season looks AMAZING. Maybe even better than the first.


The Writing Corner

This week I feel triumphant. I've been editing/revising a chapter a day and, with a little push, it looks like I could reach my goal of finishing this edit by the end of the month. *crosses fingers*
Assuming, of course, that I can pull myself away from the Korra trailer and the urges of fanfiction it stirs within me.

To Read or Not to Read?

  • Bone, vol 1: Out from Boneville by Jeff Smith. I have a friend who's been trying to get me to read more comics and graphic novels, and so far this is the first I've managed to pick up. (Sorry it took so long, Felipe.) I really did enjoy this, and I'll be getting the next volume soon. My experience with comics lies on one side with Calvin and Hobbes and Japanese manga on the other. Bone feels like the perfect in-between. Just as creative as manga, with drawings more akin to Calvin, throw in a big plot, some great characters, and a mysterious villain, and I'm hooked. This gets four stars, and I'd definitely say this is a To Read.

  • The Ninja Librarians: The Accidental Keyhand by Jen Swann Downey. This middle-grade adventure book was top of the line. It pulled together a few of my favorite things and worked them magnificently as a whole. Did I say a few? I meant all. We're talking librarians (ninja, as well as other varieties), swords, people obsessed with swords, undercover spies, history, time travel, magic powers, deep characters, Star Wars references, kids who save the fate of the world, and the first book mentioned is The Princess Bride. Like, seriously, why haven't you read this yet? Five big bright stars, a commendation for the brilliant Jen Downey, and a Must Read.

Th-th-that's all for this week, folks!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment